Loosening rusted or over-tightened bolts and nuts can be time consuming and tiring, especially when it has to be repeated several times like when changing tyres. In situations like this, a cordless impact wrench is like a glass of water in the dessert.
Air-powered impact wrenches and corded electric impact wrenches are great but they cannot boast of the flexibility, portability and ease of moving around with that the cordless impact wrench has. With this tool, you don’t have to worry about maintenance lines and noise; usable anywhere, with or without electricity or compressed air.
So what exactly is an impact wrench?
An impact wrench is a power tool used to loosen and tighten nuts and bolts. It takes away the stress involved in loosening and tightening nuts and bolts and saves time, all with minimal effort from the user. It is called other names like air gun, torque gun, air wrench among others.
Types of Impact Wrench
- Air-powered impact wrench
- Electric Impact Wrench
- Cordless impact wrench
Air-powered impact wrench has a cord that that brings compressed air from the tank to the wrench tool; the electric impact wrench also has a cord that transfers current from the power source to the wrench tool. The cordless impact wrench tool doesn’t use an external power source; it utilizes a battery (Li-on or NiCad). All these types of impact wrenches work by delivering torque at controlled speeds.
The cordless impact wrench is less restrictive, allowing for better mobility when using the tool.
The cordless impact wrench has become increasingly popular among technicians and home users. The less expensive cordless impact wrenches have heavy battery packs and can lead to fatigue during usage. A cordless impact wrench that is lightweight, with a long-lasting battery and ergonomic considerations comes with a pretty hefty price tag.
Besides the type of battery a cordless impact wrench operates on, another distinguishing and very important element is the internal components of the wrench because they affect the performance and durability of the tool.
Based on the internal components, there are two types of cordless impact wrenches; brushed and brushless impact wrenches.
In a brushed impact wrench, the individual components of the motor are in contact with each other which leads to wear and tear of the components. Whereas in a brushless impact wrench, the individual components are not in contact with each other so there is no wear and tear; cordless impact wrenches with brushless motors are more durable.
Some other factors to consider when buying a cordless impact wrench are;
- Comfort: Cordless impact wrenches that come with soft grip handles reduce vibrations and enhance comfort when using the tool.
- Weight: Technicians usually use their impact wrenches for long periods; investing in a cordless impact wrench that is lightweight or medium weight will reduce the strain and fatigue your arm feels when using the tool.
- Warranty: Warranty on cordless impact wrenches range from one year to three years. Go for a manufacturer that offers longer warranty, just to be on a safe side.
- Battery: A good cordless impact wrench should have a trustworthy battery and should be able to retain power. The battery should also not take forever to charge; 30 minutes is enough charge time.